Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Two Year Anniversary

I was perusing the GBS-CIDP Foundation web site and saw the ad pictured above. Being the runner I used to be, it caught my eye. Then I read the reason for the run, and decided we'd be going. I can run a 5k easily now (not very fast, but who's timing me?) and it is a great chance to celebrate a good recovery. Also, for now, it's easy driving distance to Charlotte, so we'll make a weekend of it.

It is the 2 year anniversary of my diagnosis (Miller-Fisher variant of GBS). I had problems with my vision, walking and numbness and tingling a week prior, was in the hospital for one day, then sent home to "see how it goes." Well, it went downhill from there and I showed up at my follow-up doctor's appointment (on March 3, 2009) with devastating neurological symptoms. Thankfully it was a short time until the diagnosis was fairly certain and IVIG treatment was begun. I rapidly improved and was able to go home within a couple of weeks after that. I still have lingering tingling and pain that is mostly controlled with Neurontin, and my endurance continues to improve. I feel so blessed to have so much of my body functioning back! And I can empathize with those who lose abilities they once had, or with those who have nerve pain or related fatigue problems. Recently, a talented author I like had a mild stroke. He explores the idea of perspective gained when one loses a physical ability in this article at Talents, gifts, and intelligence.

Life can be hard, but it is GOOD. And we carry on, to work and play and rest! And to celebrate the life we have and the loved ones we share it with.

No comments: