Friday, May 20, 2011

I CAN BIKE!

I posted this on my family blog, but felt it had a place here, too.

My friend Barb, who used to live in our ward, is from England, and talks with a darling accent led us on a bike ride on the rail trail into Dayton and around then back home. Wow, was it beautiful (not the mud, but the rest of the ride was)! This is the first sunny day this week and it was ride your bike to work day, so there were a lot of bike riders out and about with us. Part of the trail was flooded from the Great Miami River overflowing its banks (see photos above) so we just went up another way and had a wonderful time. We rode past the hospital where I work (it was across the river), past the Boonshoft Museum, and up to a pretty gardens area. I'm starting to figure out more of what is cool to do here, and we have just weeks till we leave!

Honestly, I can ride so much easier than I can run. I think it's because my calf muscles are weak and I don't have any bouncy reflexes anymore. But bike riding uses core, hip and upper leg muscles, and mine work! We had a great workout, and I was really tired when I got home, but feel fine now.

So, we rode 32 miles! Last week we rode a little under 20 miles, and we didn't expect to ride so far, but we found some beautiful places to go, had a few snacks, plenty of water, so we just went. A little sunscreen, a few tissues and we were good to go! I think we were gone about 4 hours. Pretty fun trek. Next time I'm taking a real camera. We had to do with cell phone cameras for today.

No comments: