Monday, August 23, 2010

Guest Blogger, Jon Childs

This is his story, in his words (clarifications added by Amy D.)

Diagnosis
"I contracted Guillain-Barre about 12 years ago while brand new to the mission field in Australia. I ate some chicken that was a little too old and got food poisoning, which then developed into Guillian-Barre. Six days after the food poisoning hit is when I noticed things weren't right. I remember I woke up on our p-day (preparation day for missionary work), and I could barely get to my feet. I tried to jump and nothing. I couldn't even stand on my tippy toes. I went to the doctor and he didn't know what to make of it and sent me home until he could figure it out. By that afternoon I could barely walk and steps were out of the question. Luckily the doctor called me back and sent me to the emergency room. They did a bunch of tests and then sent me 2 hours away to one of Melbourne's main hospitals. I got there and received a great blessing (priesthood blessing by members of the church), then they did a bunch of breathing tests then a spinal tap.

Treatment
Luckily Australia has only 20 million people there and the medical care is top notch. I had the white blood cell treatments (likely IVIG) for 5 days then a slow recovery after that.

Recovery
I was moved to a rehabilitation center (right on the beach - very nice) and spent 3 or so months there learning to walk and other movements again. I was able to recover enough to get to go back in the field (serving as a missionary). After 3 months I asked to be taken out of the car so I could walk and bike and get my body back again. It took awhile and I had pain here and there, but walking and riding everywhere played a huge part in my recovery. I pushed myself very hard and after a year of first contracting it, I was almost back to normal and 3 months later I was in better shape then I was when I first arrived. When I came home I was down almost 30 lbs.

Life Now
I look back and think how crazy it all was. The biggest problem I have now, which I hear is a common side effect, is about 2 days a week I will have no energy and just fall asleep. I have fallen asleep almost everywhere."


That is his experience. Thanks so much, Jon for another perspective and example of GBS. Neither Jon nor I had any respiratory depression. I'm sure this would make the course of this illness much different. If you chance upon this blog and have any words of encouragement or information to share, please comment!

No comments: