Friday, February 26, 2010

Neurontin

Early on in the course my GBS, the doctors tried neurontin for the pain in my hips and legs. Fortunately it turned out to be very effective with no noticeable side effects, and I'm still taking it three times a day.

A couple of weeks ago I started to feel drowsy occasionally about 30-60 minutes after the doses I took during the daytime, so I wondered if it would help to decrease the dosage a little bit (per my neurologist). I also misplaced one of the bottles of my prescription and figured it would be a good time to see if I still needed the dose I was taking. Long story, short; after a week of trying to lower the dose from 900mg to 600mg every 8 hours, I felt more irritable, tingly and just like not moving, a lot more of the time.

So now I am back to taking 900mg at least for 2 doses a day. If I feel ok at the end of the day, I just take 600mg before going to sleep, then take the normal dose when I wake up. We'll see how it goes, but for now I'll be grateful for how much this medication helps my nerve symptoms, and keep taking it for as long as needed. My neurologist said it could be for at least a couple of years. Speaking of time...(see next post!).

No comments: