Saturday, December 26, 2009

Check out this stance!

Christmas Day, 2009

10 months since the onset of GBS. Look at those feet?! Just keepin' my balance, baby. You know, I did not realize I was doing that, or if I did, I thought my feet would not be in the photo. So, being pigeon toed does not mean that I should stand around all twisted up, but it might explain why a tired leg would resort to the above position.

All in all, lots of progress is happening...just very slowly. I estimate myself at 70-75% of my normal functioning (though significantly less if you count endurance). At the latest neurologist visit, he said to give it a good 12-18 months and see where we are and what residual effects linger.

As of now:
  • No deep tendon reflexes (zero, zilch, nada).
  • Still walking with a wider than normal gait (very cute-- not so much! but what can one do without those reflexes!).
  • Able to walk a couple of miles on an easy going day without other demands.
  • Spending time at work 2 or 3 times a week doing light duty RN stuff (sort nurse in triage, a couple of hours patient care here and there).
  • Doing more cooking, cleaning, laundry and other regular chores (the family LOVES this!).
  • A couple of hours rest is often enough to recharge after doing a little too much--better than a day or more!
We had a nice Christmas at home with the traditional scones and fruit soup for brunch in the morning after presents. I slept all afternoon after working the night before and staying up finishing wrapping (procrastinator that I am!), so life is getting back to normal. And I am happy.

No comments: